November 17 is the deadline for applying for a fireworks license

November 2, 2020 6:00 pm
Those who are interested in importing, transporting, selling, or having a firework show at year-end needs to apply at the Fire Department at least six weeks before the activity. Those interested in applying for a Fireworks license for this year's end celebrations should do so before November 17, 2020. Permits are needed to carry out these fireworks-related activities and must be obtained from the Fire Department. Applications must contain all the information as required by article 9 of the Fireworks Ordinance. For the fireworks import and transport licenses to a storage location on the Dutch side, you would need to apply for a Hindrance permit via the Ministry of VROMI for the storage location. The Fireworks Ordinance contains the fire safety measures that must be implemented at a fireworks storage location. Applications will be processed when the application forms are submitted with all the necessary information, documents, and certificates. The application forms can be obtained at the Fire Department on Jackal Road #5 at Cay Hill or via e-mail. Firework permit applications need to be addressed to Clive Richardson, Fire Chief. The Fireworks Ordinance is available online by searching for 'Vuurwerk Besluit St Maarten' via the Government of St. Maarten website or going directly to the following link: For more information about fireworks and the related permits, you can contact the Fire Prevention Department at 543-1316 or e-mail The Ministry of General Affairs is responsible for issuing licenses that are fireworks-related. The import, transport, storage, sale, and lighting of fireworks are regulated by the Fireworks Ordinance Vuurwerkbesluit AB2013, GT18. The Fire Department has the task of executing the Fireworks Ordinance and providing the fireworks licenses. It screens the applicants' compliance with the ordinance and the safety precautions. These safety measures are needed to prevent incidents during transportation, storage the sales and lighting of fireworks. The ordinance contains regulations on the classification and the type of consumer fireworks and professional fireworks that can be imported and sold. It also contains the days that consumer fireworks can be sold and used, which starts from December 29th to January 1st. Professional fireworks are to be imported, transported, stored and lighted by certified pyrotechnicians. Consumer fireworks can be imported, transported, stored and by the applicant that has requested the license to do so. Source: