World Pest Day Recognizes How the Pest Control Industry Preserves Public Health and Property
STEFLOGIX enlightens homeowners about summertime pest health and property threats
Philipsburg, June 6th, 2023 – World Pest Day, which occurs on June 6, is an annual observance dedicated to recognizing and raising awareness about the role of the pest control industry in protecting public health, food, and property from the threats posed by pests. Pest control plays such a vital role in our everyday life, in fact, public health officials attribute it as one of three reasons for the heightened quality of life we have today.
This World Pest Day, STEFLOGIX is joining the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) to highlight the pests that pose serious threats to families and property this summer. Consider some of these staggering facts from NPMA:
• Mosquitoes are the world’s deadliest animal and can spread diseases such as Malaria, Chikungunya, Zika virus, and Dengue Fever to humans and animals. While Malaria is not present in Sint Maarten, it is important to reduce the threat of other mosquito-borne diseases like Dengue by eliminating sources of standing water around the home, including birdbaths, flowerpots, and clogged gutters.
• Rodents, like mice and rats, are known to contaminate or consume about 20% of the world’s food supply. These pests are also capable of spreading 35 different diseases including hantavirus, Salmonella, tularemia, rat bite fever, and plague. Once inside your home or business, these pests multiply rapidly and can cause serious damage so be sure to call a pro at the first sign of a rodent infestation.
• Stinging insects such as hornets, wasps, and yellowjackets send more than half a million people to the emergency room every year. These insects can build their nests in a variety of places, including but not limited to attics, crawlspaces, gutters, and under patios or decks. If you find a nest on your property, do not attempt to eliminate or remove it on your own, as stinging insects will attack if they feel threatened or are disturbed.
• According to NPMA, termites cause an estimated $6.8 billion in property damage every year and for most, this costly damage is not covered by homeowners insurance. Termites thrive in warm, moist conditions and are found in almost every area of Sint Maarten. Termites are not controlled by do-it-yourself measures and homeowners should schedule annual inspections with their pest control partner to protect against these wood-destroying pests.
• Ticks thrive in warm, humid climates and are also responsible for transmitting diseases. It is important to keep your property tick-free, be sure to keep the grass cut low, clear any overgrown vegetation, and remove weeds, woodpiles, and debris. Also, it is important to inspect yourself and your pets for ticks following any time spent outdoors.
“Summer is the peak season for bug and rodent activity, which is why now is a crucial time to prioritize pest control to better protect your family and property,” said Michael Somersall, General Manager at STEFLOGIX. “World Pest Day is an important reminder that pest issues can have significant negative impacts on our health, homes, businesses, and even our food supply. If you have pest issues, contact a qualified pest control professional to evaluate the problem and implement an appropriate course of treatment.”
Please visit www.steflogix.com for additional pest-proofing tips and information on pest control.